Less than 1% of total UK CO2 emissions are produced by rail, whereas 21% are produced by road.
Every tonne of freight carried by rail produces at least 70% less carbon dioxide than if it was moved by road.
In the last year trains serving iPort Rail have taken more than 22,520 long distance HGV movements off the road and we have scope to do more.
The use of rail in the freight logistics chain makes sense both economically and environmentally.
- CO2 emissions are 70% less per tonne carried by rail than by road.
- 15 times less NOx emissions by rail.
- Each freight train removes up to 76 lorries from the roads.
- An average gallon of fuel will move 1 tonne of goods 246 miles by rail and only 88 miles by road.
- It is a proven safer mode of transport.